Thursday, October 15, 2009

The Social Worker





Here is what I almost tripped over today. It is a little strange to think that just five months ago when I started my job I was terrified to go to the shelter, freaked out by all the homeless people walking around there, and now ......
just 5 Months Later....
I am just walking down the streets of Pine Street and Cypress Street like it aint no thing, just looking straight forward making sure to make no eye contact with anyone, embracing my pepper spray on my keychain.

Today.....
I made another trip to the shelter, and I was so busy on my walk from the parking lot to the shelter looking straight ahead and focusing on not making eye contact....I just about tripped on a homeless person. I told Victoria he could have been dead and she assured me that they scoop up the dead ones pretty quick.
What exactly am I thinking when I look at these people? Lonely, depressed, sad, insane, alcoholics, mental disabilities, meth, physical disabilities, war wounds, broken homes, medicaid, wic, fighting, turmoil, ssi, physical abuse, mental abuse, lost, mad, angry, hurt, confused, ashamed. I see all of that in the faces of these people. It is one of the reasons I don't look at their faces. We are all just warm bodies walking by eachother like the subways of New York. Hold on to your pepper spray, look forward, don't make eye contact. You never know what the other person will do.
Why am I a Social Worker? Well who is going to look out for these people if I don't? Seriously. Are you? They are the forgotten, Socially unacceptable, menaces to society. They are different than you. They are different from me. Some have been battered and scorn to the cores of their souls. But they are people. And God made all people, and God is good. So there is something good in them too. There is something good in anybody. There is something good in you. Do you know what it is? Could you take five seconds out of your day to think of what the homeless could possibly have that is good? I know, it takes digging deep. People dont tend to think that deep naturally. It has to be triggered.
People tell me all the time.....I could never work your job. That has to be awful. What about xyz and abc, how do you do that. And the answer to that is.......I just do. I have to. Someone has to. If that were me.........would you help me? Or walk on by. I would help you.

I live my entire life around the motto of Being the Change I wish to see in the World. My job is so rewading and so draining at the same time. But I do think I was called into this field. It is not for everyone, it is not for the weak, except that is how I feel on some days, like I am weak. Like I just can't stand to see another person suffer. But it is not for the overly strong. It is not for the judgemental, pretentious, wealthy.


No comments: